Things I have never really cared about:
- Having pictures of myself. You will not browse through my Flickr and see tons of pics at arm’s length because I needed just one more profile shot of myself. Especially since I’ve had the baby.. I think pixels are much better spent on capturing that amazing little creature that I pushed out of my nu-nu.
- Religion. I know it’s all important to some people, and there have been fleeting pangs of jealousy in that respect, but for the most part? Eh. I believe what I believe, and I think the rest takes care of itself.
- Labels. I like to buy quality wardrobe pieces, so admittedly, my staple pieces are labels (primarily Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, and Gap). But not because I like flashing that info around; because those brands hold up extremely well. I’d much rather brag about finding an amazing steal on a knock-off.
- Personal parenting choices. Whether you choose to deliver naturally, breastfeed, co-sleep, or homeschool, it’s your decision for your child. It may not be what I do with my child, but I hope you’ll pay me the same respect in my choices as I try to with yours.
- Appearing perfect. I am the first to admit when I fuck up, or fall down, or swallow my foot, because we’re all human. In reality, it’s too damn hard trying to appear perfect all the time. And people who try? Bless their crazy hearts.
- Crafts. I cannot do them. I don’t have the time, the patience, or the skill. So while I LOVE to admire your work from afar, I know my limitations. I will happily pay you to do your craft for me.
- Formalities. I work with the military. And while I always answer with “sir”, “ma’am”, or “their title here”, I have no qualms about joking around with everyone. Even if it gets me chided from onlookers, I’d much rather them feel comfortable.
What do you think people put too much importance on? Or what do you find especially grating?